Thursday, March 1, 2007

SLY AC NEWS

I've seen Avey Tare and Kria Brekken play a couple times. I don't even know if they've played more than a couple times in NY, so I might be able to say that I've seen them everytime they've done a show in town. I get a bit fanboy when it comes to animal collective, and I feel oddly pathetic about this sometimes. Not as pathetic as Sly Stallone meeting Rocky in this video...



A week or so ago, pitchfork posted the first track, "sis around the sandmill," from the Avey & Kria's upcoming album Pullhair Rubeye. (Please forgive me for not including accents where they belong here, I don't have the patience.) Apparently Avey & Kria listened to the playback of the posted track backwards and decided they liked that version better, and decided to put the reversed version of the song on the album. A ballsy move. Now the entire record has leaked, and word is that every single track on pullhair is played in reverse. Some songs were sped up and fucked with before being reversed. Some stripped of their vocals before being reversed. On the AC message boards, some fans complained, and others expressed their love for the backwards songs. People are already trading versions of the record where the reversed songs have been reversed, and edited back to their original state. Suprisingly, Avey responded to these messages fairly quick, and with a not so subtle degree of annoyance at the people who were up in arms. Avey goes by the name "wheeter" on the messageboard. Read the thread here, avey's response is somewhere in the middle of that page.

In other AC news, Deakin, the guitar player who I think I pissed off at one of the avey & kria shows when I accidentally knocked over avey's guitar and responded a bit too neurotically, will not be touring with animal collective at least up until the release of their next album.

And Person Pitch, the record by AC's Panda Bear, is my favorite new album of the moment. Go find Bros and Take Pills on hype machine.

Here's a couple of decent quality videos of some of the new AC jams...

Peace Bone, at the Malta Festival, with too busy camerawork.



and Reverend Green, at T in the park. This song is going to be fucking huge on the next record if it makes the cut.

No comments: