Friday, March 23, 2007

Embarassing LA moments



#1

I was desperate for something other than exercise or free weights that could serve as some kind of , "zen activity." Something to curb my depression, and help me enjoy the beauty of the outdoors a little more, or make me go outside a bit more often. I think I had also scene that Dogtown documentary. Or I had scene the energetic previews for the fictionalized version of the Dogtown documentary with the kid from the Girl Next Door. And they sell the art of skateboarding very well in the Dogtown pictures. On a very hot day, I took a step off the cliff, and went to Supreme on Fairfax. I figured maybe I would buy a board, maybe a I wouldn't. At the very least I get to see the big wooden bowl they built inside the store that I had seen pictures of and been attracted to.
But I did it. I bought a skateboard; a cool looking one with an image of a random stereotypical Native American that I later realized was Johnny Cash. The board cost a lot of money with all the add ons like wheels and trucks, and grip tape. I left the store with the same feeling I had after I bought guitar hero. A mix of shame and excitement and fear that someone would catch me.

For about a week I rode that expensive skateboard that I had no right to buy up and down my block on London Street. Sometimes I would ride the board to the gas station where I bought cigars and groceries. I would never ride it when I crossed the street. And once per ride, I would fall flat on my face, and nearly break something, most likely a wrist. Never felt much zen during the time I attempted skateboarding as a so-called zen activity. I did feel embarassed, and old. And I wondered where the safe, smooth surfaces were in Los Angeles.

The skateboard now lives in my Aunt & Uncle's garage. I need to sell it, badly.

Recently, I will admit that I took up meditation. Slightly before the Lynch book came out.

1 comment:

Julia Cohen said...

I think I'm more uncomfortable in general, now that I know you meditate.